Monday, January 28, 2013

Take advantage of free Germanna Student Activities leadership mini-retreat Feb. 1, learn about Dance Floor Leadership Theory

Student Activities is offering a free leadership mini-retreat for student leaders and advisors at the Fredericksburg Area Campus in Spotsylvania on Feb. 1.
Nationally known guest speaker and entrepreneur Tom Krieglestein of Swift Kick will lead the program.
 Please RSVP to Sandi Pope at spope@germanna.edu by Jan. 31.
 

Agenda, Friday, February 1, 2013: 
Noon, Dickinson, Room 212 – Swift Kick Presentation and box lunch
2:30 pm – Travel to SKM Center for Stress Management Session with Debbie Bennett
6 pm Travel to dinner out in Fredericksburg
8:30 pm return to GCC/Fredericksburg


TOM KRIGLESTEIN ON DANCE FLOOR LEADERSHIP THEORY:

Just like on a dance floor, every school experiences varying levels of student engagement between those fully involved (student leaders) and those lurking on the edge (apathetic students). The same tactics to create successful social change on a dance floor (connections, relevancy, models of success, and motivation) also work to increase engagement within any school. DFT provides student leaders a new model for creating community, increasing student engagement, and fostering a culture of retention.


TOM KRIGLESTEIN BIO

 
I lived the first nine yrs of my life on a western Michigan farm. My family then moved to a Chicago suburb where I spent the rest of my childhood. I now live in NYC with my wife, Annie Colbert, and two cats — Oscar and Layla Beans.
I consider myself a lifelong explorer who lives to create. I started my first company, an online retail store, as a college junior. At its peak, the store annually grossed $1.5 million. With the revenue I paid my college debt, my post college living expenses, and an eight-month Europe/Asia trip with my wife.
I was a 2001 ALL-USA Academic First Team member. I was top of my class at both College of DuPage and Aurora University and gave both graduating speeches. USA Today featured my profile in a full page spread distributed internationally.
Since graduating, I worked for three years as a Quantum Learning Network facilitator. QLN is considered the premier company for accelerated learning techniques. Through QLN, I spoke to thousands of students around the US and the world including South Korea, Indonesia and Bermuda.
In 2004 I co-founded my second business, Swift Kick, with the goal of increasing student engagement in education. We use both training and technology to accomplish our mission. We've been named the 2007, 2008, and 2009 Best Campus Speaker of the Year by member schools of the Association of the Promotion of Campus Activities.
Our two trainings are Dance Floor Theory Leadership Training and The Secrets Behind Facebook.
Our technology project is Red Rover, an online student orientation that happens before orientation and integrates with Facebook.
My wife, Annie, and I were one of the top three finalists competing for the 2008 NBC Today Show Wedding - Race to the Altar.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

One of the advantages in being an online student is to be able to take notes using your browser :) Read more about it at http://www.elearners.com/online-education-resources/online-learning/take-notes-with-your-browser/

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the advantages of Germanna activities and boosting leadership and advisor quality in students. TCCDS offer dental internship program in Toronto and allowing them to serve their patients and community with confidence and excellence.