Sunday, November 16, 2014

Getting to Know: Student Success Coach Jennifer Lawrence

Germanna Community College has launched a Student Success Coach Program. The coaches stay with students from enrollment through graduation, giving them the help they need to succeed in college and in life.
GCC Student Success Coach Jennifer Lawrence
GCC Student Success Coach Jennifer Lawrence

We’ll meet each of the coaches in a series of Q&A profile—Jennifer Lawrence works with students at the Fredericksburg Area Campus in Spotsylvania.
  • Where are you from?


I'm from Varina, Virginia.  I live in Spotsylvania County near the Fredericksburg Area Campus.

  • Where did you go to high school and college and what degrees do you have?

I graduated from Varina High School.  I also graduated from the University of Virginia with a bachelor in psychology, the College of William and Mary with a master in higher education administration, and Virginia Commonwealth University with a master in rehabilitation counseling.

  • How long have you worked at Germanna?

I have worked at Germanna for two and a half months.

  • What do you like about working at Germanna? About being a Student Success Coach?

I enjoy working with students from diverse backgrounds.  I look forward to meeting with students to learn about their strengths and assist them with planning for their futures.
 As a student success coach, I hope to continue to empower students to make decisions that will have a positive impact in their lives and to prepare themselves for things that lie ahead.

  • What’s the biggest challenge you face in your job?

I hope that students will begin to use their emails as an additional resource to learn about important information and events.

  • What’s your advice for Germanna students?

The college has supportive faculty and staff that really want to see you succeed and are willing to help you reach your goals.  Take advantage of the various resources that you have at your fingertips.  Make the best out of this experience and learn as much as you can.

  • For students graduating from high school and thinking about college?

College is a great place to learn more about your individuality, focus on your academic interests, discover and work toward your career goals, and improve your social awareness.

  • For older students thinking about returning to college?

Reflection about the accomplishments that you have made can be uplifting.  Making goals to set standards for your future can improve your self-awareness of things that you would like to accomplish.

  • What misconception does the public have about community colleges and community college students?

I have heard some feedback that community college is not as “rigorous” as a four-year college or university. However, community college is a “real” college that encourages in-depth learning of different subjects and provides strong support for that learning.

  • Are you married and do you have children?

I'm married and have one child.

  • Fun fact about you?

My favorite theme park is the Animal Kingdom in Orlando, Fla.

  • What’s your favorite book?

One of my favorite books is “A Hand to Guide Me” by Denzel Washington.

My favorite poem is “The Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost.

  • Your favorite movie?
My favorite movie is “The Sound of Music.”

  • Your favorite TV show?

My favorite TV show is “Law and Order.”
  • Your favorite sport and team?


I do not have a favorite sport or team.  I do enjoy watching basketball.




No comments: